ABOS logo

Homebound services

Home Forums General Homebound services

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  librarianette 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Hello!  I am the Outreach Librarian for my system and it is a brand-new position. I will be coordinating and implementing homebound services, among other things. Are there any librarians who do outreach (specifically service to the homebound) who would be willing to share tips/experiences/anything with me? You can respond here or I’d love to email or chat with anyone.

Thanks in advance!

Jayme Champagne

Hi there. I’ve been running a mobile library now for 7 years. My set up is sort of odd-ball though so I’m not sure if I’d have any pertinant words of wisdom for you. I run it alone, go only to pre-schools (where I do storytimes) and ALFs (where I do some programs in the facility as well as a honor-system LP library on-board). I did recently add a half-way house for teen girls into the mix. I sort of fly by the seat of my pants in a way and make the mobile work for the facilities needs. The stops are “closed” and set up in advance on a schedule and I typically go to each place once a month. In my library system there is no cohension with the Mobile Library and the other outreach services: homebound that mails books to the qualifying homes and Talking Books. Here is a recent link about the lady who runs those departments http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2013306140026&nclick_check=1

At any rate, I’m more than happy to try & answer questions!

Thanks for your reply! Would you like to exchange emails or chat on the phone?

What sort of programming do you do in the ALFs you visit?

Would you recommend a half-way house as an outreach location?

Sorry about the delay in replying, I’d be more than happy to chat with you directly :)  Shoot me an email tmoon@brev.org . Fridays are usually the best day to get ahold of me.

Hi Librarianette. One of the best tips (and it makes so much sense!) is one we got from an ABOS conference: Never do outreach alone. Sometimes there are — issues — with the homebound, and a partner can make all the difference.

Thanks for the tip, rkrause! I’m lucky that I will be working with someone when I visit personal homes.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.