The John Philip Award
Knowledge, experience, expertise.
The ABOS John Philip Award is given to recognize outstanding contributions and prominent leadership by an individual in Bookmobile and Outreach Services. John Philip, known to all as “Mr. Bookmobile”, spent his long and honorable career as an advocate of Bookmobile and Outreach Services.
John Philip is the “Father” of the National Bookmobile Conference which started in 1986 and has now evolved into the Association of Bookmobile and Outreach Services. Through his strong leadership and high profile advocacy Bookmobiles have been recognized as a viable library outreach service. This award honors his dedication and tireless work and serves as a pinnacle for all Bookmobile and Outreach staff to aspire to reach.
Criteria for Selecting Award Recipients
The John Philip Award Committee will consider the following criteria in the selection of the recipient of this award.
- Leadership role in the field – local, state, national, international. Readily recognized by name, visible in the Outreach Community, contributions well known, sought out for information and advice. (I.E. John Philip)
- Behind the scenes service in the field – committee and/or other work that may not be visible to everyone but involved much work/time and benefited the Association or those in the field.
- Unique impact in the field – publications, special events, inventions, technological improvements, etc.
- Longevity in Bookmobile and Outreach Service.
- Willingness to mentor others.
- Passion for their work.
- Knowledge, experience, expertise.
2014 Willow Gale
Please submit applications to
& Express Center Manager
Aurora Public Library
1100 Church Rd.
Aurora, IL 60505